Children’s care and separated or divorced parents

Parents who are separated or divorced can sometimes find themselves in the middle of disagreements, particularly if for some reason a court has taken away some or all of a parent’s rights and responsibilities.

What are your rights?

As separated or divorced parents, you both have the right to consent to your child’s medical management and to request access to their medical information, unless:

  • a court order exists that has taken away your right to do these things
  • the child is a mature minor – this means they are under the age of 18 but have the maturity to make their own decisions.

What if a court order exists?

If one parent says there is a court order in place, a copy of the court order or directive will need to be provided. It’s important to immediately advise of any changes in this regard.

Managing and sharing information about your child’s care

Where there are no court orders in place, we expect that separated or divorced parents will communicate with each other about their child’s medical management, and share their child’s medical information with one another.

Our staff and the independent specialists practising from our rooms are unable to provide information to any parent about their child’s health outside appointment times.

We also expect that separated or divorced parents will resolve any differences in opinion about treatment options between themselves and without our involvement. If this is not possible, it may be necessary to obtain legal advice and involve the Family Court for a resolution based on what is in the best interest of the child.

It is legal for a practitioner to proceed with treatment based on one parent’s consent (provided there is no court order limiting that parent from providing consent).

How Can we Help?

The Paeds in a Pod mission is to provide access to comprehensive medical care with best practice standards and modern expertise.

CALL 07 3177 2000


We have a number of locations around Brisbane to help make it easier for you to access specialist care.