Dr Yun Phua
Paediatric Plastic Surgeon
BHB MBChB FRACSWoolloongabba
Dr Yun Phua is a Plastic, Reconstructive and Craniofacial Surgeon. He is currently the Director of Plastic, Reconstructive and Oro-maxillofacial Surgery at the Queensland Children’s Hospital and is a member of the multidisciplinary Cleft and Craniofacial Team there. He also works at the Adolescent and Young Adult Craniofacial Clinic at the Mater Hospital Brisbane.
Yun graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) in 2006 from the University of Auckland, New Zealand. After completing his training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in New Zealand, he became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) in 2015. His fellowship training was undertaken at the Mater Children’s Hospital Brisbane in 2014 and Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne from 2015 to 2016. His post-fellowship training was undertaken as part of the Craniomaxillofacial Fellowship Training Program.
In his spare time, Yun regularly volunteers overseas with Operation Smile, a charity that provides surgery for children with a cleft lip or palate in countries where such care is not readily accessible. The rest of his spare time is spent running after his two children.
The range of conditions that Yun treats includes:
- cleft lip and palate
- secondary surgery for cleft lip and palate, including alveolar bone grafts, speech surgery, cleft lip revisions, and rhinoplasties
- craniosynostosis and other head-shape anomalies
- otoplasty and ear surgery
- birthmarks and vascular anomalies
- paediatric skin lesions
- post-traumatic deformities and scar revisions.
Further information and resources
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons – information about surgical procedures for patients
- Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons – information about plastic surgery for patients
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Craniomaxillofacial Surgeons – about ANZSCMFS
- Operation Smile – medical charity providing life changing reconstructive cleft surgery worldwide