What is it?
Paediatric gastroenterology focuses on the health of the digestive system, also known as the gastrointestinal tract. It is concerned with how the body digests and moves food, absorbs nutrients and removes waste. Gastroenterology also has a focus on the liver.
Who do we help?
The independent paediatric gastroenterologists who practise from our rooms treat children from newborn through their teenage years. They support them in the diagnosis and management of conditions including Coeliac disease, inflammatory bowel disease, constipation, chronic abdominal pain, gastroesophageal reflux, liver disease, and food intolerances and allergies.
They aim to remove the pain and the discomfort and give children the freedom to enjoy their everyday lives.
Your child may benefit from seeing a paediatric gastroenterologist if they have blood in their stool, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, are refusing food or are consistently feeling bloated or unwell.
What do we do?
We will connect you with a paediatric gastroenterologist who can diagnose and treat a broad range of gastrointestinal diseases in children. They can manage everything from a routine upset stomach to a complex and chronic gastrointestinal condition.
Your child’s gastroenterologist will:
- expertly assist your child to explain their concerns and symptoms
- have admitting rights at the Mater Hospital where they can perform endoscopies and colonoscopies to assist with diagnosis
- tailor treatment plans to suit the gastrointestinal issue and the child
- support you and your family with information and strategies
- work closely with our consultant paediatric allergists and dietitians as part of a holistic approach.