What is it?
Paediatric gastroenterology focuses on the health of the digestive system, also known as the gastrointestinal tract. It is concerned with how the body digests and moves food, absorbs nutrients and removes waste. Gastroenterology also has a focus on the liver.
Who do we help?
Our paediatric gastroenterologists treat children from newborn through their teenage years. We support them in the diagnosis and management of conditions including Coeliac disease, inflammatory bowel disease, constipation, chronic abdominal pain, gastroesophageal reflux, liver disease, and food intolerances and allergies.
We aim to remove the pain the discomfort and give children the freedom to enjoy their everyday lives.
Your child may benefit from seeing a paediatric gastroenterologist if they have blood in their stool, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, are refusing food or are consistently feeling bloated or unwell.
What do we do?
As specialists in digestive healthcare, our paediatric gastroenterologists diagnose and treat a broad range of gastrointestinal diseases in children. We can manage everything from a routine upset stomach to a complex and chronic gastrointestinal condition.
- expertly assist children to explain their concerns and symptoms
- have admitting rights at the Mater Hospital where we perform endoscopies and colonoscopies to assist with our diagnosis
- tailor treatment plans to suit the gastrointestinal issue and the child
- support parents, families and carers with information and strategies
- work closely with our paediatric allergist and dietician as part of a holistic team.