How to make a healthy lunchbox
Whether you’re making your own lunchbox, or you’re making one for the youngest members of your household, it should be a snapshot of a normal day of healthy eating. This means it needs three main ingredients to provide you with all the nutrients you need!
The three main ingredients for a healthy lunchbox are:
- fuelling food
- muscle food
- immunity foods (COLOUR!).
Fuelling foods give us energy to run around and play, to think clearly and do our best work in life and at school and home. Fuelling foods include:
- bread, bread rolls, wraps, pita and lavish breads
- crackers and crispbreads
- quinoa, couscous or other grains
- crumpets, scones, pikelets (homemade is best for these).
Muscle foods help keep us strong so our body can handle all the running around we need to do. If we don’t have strong muscles and bones, our bodies can feel tired and sore. Some muscle foods aren’t suitable if you are following a vegetarian lifestyle, but there are plenty of vegetarian-friendly muscle foods available. Muscle foods include:
- meat, fish, chicken (not appropriate for vegetarians)
- nuts and seeds
- legumes or lentils
- eggs (may/may not suit your lifestyle)
- dairy – milk, yogurt, cheese.
Immunity foods are colourful and help ensure our immune system is strong and healthy. We should include immunity foods in all of our meals to make sure we are getting enough micronutrients. Immunity foods include:
- vegetables – carrot, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, celery, zucchini, pumpkin, potato, capsicum, cauliflower, broccoli, peas, corn and more!
- fruit – banana, apple, kiwi fruit (very good for helping open bowels), mango, pear, grapes, pawpaw, berries, rockmelon, watermelon, peach, mandarin, orange and more!
Every lunchbox should include all three “ingredients” every day! As well as making sure you have fuelling, muscle and immunity foods in your lunchbox, make sure you drink plenty of water too.
Some ideas for a healthy lunchbox include:
- Baked potato with Mexican beans/baked beans with grated cheese and salad + muesli bar + piece of fruit + frozen milk drink
- Pita wrap with hummus, grated cheese, carrot, cucumber and lettuce + milk drink + chopped fruit salad + homemade banana bread
- Frittata (with lots of veggies!) + 1 orange + creamed rice + rice crackers and dip
- Healthy mini pizza + yogurt + homemade fruit slice + two fruits in natural juice
For more lunch box ideas or to book an appointment in to see me (Danielle) for individualised support call 07 3177 2000 or use the booking form.